Montag, 7. März 2011

SNOWMAGEDDON... and a pancakecake!!!


After weeks of absence from the blogosphere I finally found a little bit of time to dedicate to update my live from the other side! So while spring has been teasung us every other week for a day we're back to square one with another snowstorm hitting the town... It's quite something to wake up and not be able to see out the window probably because the snow is as thick as fog! But as usual this city's public transport seems to be handle any amount coming down!!
These past few weeks have been busy with university, and I've been living and breathing books and films – to be honest what else can you do when it's that welcoming outside!!
This winter has kind of been a buzzkill lately and missing the family plus an overload of schoolwork has not been the greatest combination of things, but two papers are done and against personal belief, they were done in time!!
But life wouldn't be life if there wasn't still time for fun things to be happening... and besides the regular coffee-lunch-wine-dates there is a few night worth mentioning!
first the oscars, and no i am not mentioning them cause they are such a great event, but because I actually watched them live and at a movie theater for the first time, and as much commercial-breaks as you get, it still felt great to watch them live on a big screen while commenting on what we witnessed (and yes the Fuck, slipped by Melissa Leo made it into canadian television and was not censored from the show... gotta love the liberal aspects of canadian TV even though they did insert the "PG" logo in the left corner shortly after)...Now this is actually not the reason why this night is mentionable – it's more for a certain crazy guy that might be one of the weirdest encounters so far in Montreal. Daniel and I were waiting in line at Cinema du Parc and there he was walking right up to engaging Daniel in a conversation about Nikola Tesla – and as much as you try not to get caught up in conversations like that you find yourself incapable of knowing how to deal with this other than laugh... oh the randomness of strange encounters of life!
More special firsts coming right up: I made my first swedish Pancake cake with my favorite sweds Lisa!!! Occasion – a two months belated birthday celebration – called for special things such as half decent red wine and making pancake-cake (yes like in Petterson and Findus!!!) and all i can say DELICIOUS!!!!it's layers of yummy thin pancakes filled with chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and whipped cream!!!

Yes the international community of this city as lots to offer... but so does the local culture, and after watching Incendies, a truely heavy film, maybe one of the heaviest I have seen lately, I found myself at Le Bull, a small little bar on the east end of St. Catherine, why we went there, well it was the closest to the amc movie theater and when it's cold out you usually make it a habit to find the closest venue possible... and I was in luck this night and instead of grabbing a quick drink and calling it a night, a heavily started night turned into a free commedy show a slightly slippery walk home from the bus... this night reminded me why i simply love this town, in this place you end up in an awsomely funny commedy show, at a less than impressable bar with automated slotmachines, and all by pure accident!! other than that I've been trying my best not to fall and slip – which so far I have succeeded at but we'll see what these next days will bring! It's getting late and I am too tired to come up with anything else to write! I hope all of you are great!
So that was it from the other side for tonight, thanks for reading and please tune in the next time we’re on bisous Merle-Perle

p.s. almost forgot this posts movie-to-be-seen: Jenseits der Stille, by Caroline Link from 1996 (int. title Beyond silence)!!! (I know all the Germans back home probably know it, or at least I hope they do, but this is one of my favorites since being about 11... it's a beautiful picture, and one of the few gems of the 90s amongst German Cinema! should definitely not be missed)

1 Kommentar:

  1. I think what was even weirder was that he said he was related to Mother Teresa...

    AntwortenLöschen